This is probably the worst episode in season one.
I remember the Monzaemon episode as being stupid, the cruise ship episode as being unusual and the Vademon episode as being trippy, but this is the only episode I distinctly remember disliking. I think it might have something to do with Sora.
Sora was always one of my favorite characters during my original exposure, mostly due to her role as resident den mother and just generally not being Mimi. I didn't like this episode then because it was hokey and made her look completely nuts. Watching now, I don't like it because it is really hokey and proves that, well, she kinda is completely nuts.
Sadly, this episode cements her status as the weakest character in season one. Everybody else's angst seems to be pretty well justified. Mimi doesn't really have any at all. Sora's is caused by her mommy issues, but the flashback provided here doesn't do a whole lot for her argument. While her mother seems like kind of a bitch, she has a pretty good argument about not letting her daughter play soccer with an injured knee. Sora is quite petulant in the whole scene and acts pretty much like a bratty teenager. Hard to gain support for her cause, really. Makes you appreciate Rika's more nuanced mommy issues that much more.
Back in the present day, Sora's mommy issues combined with a lucky suggestion by Demidevimon has her convinced that she is incapable of love... which sends her into a balling fit when Tai works that out of her. Never mind that she still insists on looking after the others by telling Agumon about the memory shrooms, foiling sabotage efforts at the restaurant and sneaking into Gekomon Castle. Biyomon and TK try pointing out that these are pretty loving gestures for someone who claims to not care about anybody else. But no, the histrionics continue.
The reactions from Tai, Matt and TK are interesting to note here. After Tai jokes about “love” fueling the drama (oh that didn't go over well), he hears Sora explain Demidevimon's bit this time. His response is, “That's it?” He's spot on. Matt's pretty chill and is cool with letting Sora figure it out on her own. Also spot on. TK makes it a trifecta, assuring her that he considers her the loving mother of the group. All three on fire here and she still doesn't get it.
Although we never quite understand what is in the comically huge syringe, Demidevimon launches it at Sora and Biyomon takes the bullet. At long last, Myotismon makes his grand entrance, promptly taking out the whole team. Biyomon wants to fight, but Sora says no... promptly going into the exact same dialogue she had heard from her mother. The exact same. It's really forced. It also gets Biyomon to evolve and hey! Suddenly she's fully healthy, Sora's crest glows and we have a Garudamon! Somehow the lines get even worse after that. Bad as MegaKabuterimon's debut episode was, he did not cry “Izzy! Your knowledge is making me strong!”
Myotismon's attack is the one saving grace here, even going so far as to try again at the end for no reason. It had looked like a simple wrap-up where everyone reflects on Sora's love, but no! They can't stop here! This is bat country!
My Grade: D-
- So... Sora's been hanging around them all this time and someone only now realizes they can pick up her signal on their digivice?
- Demidevimon hates bats. Heh.
- In the big game Sora missed, her team lost 6-3. That's a drubbing in soccer. How much difference could one girl on a gimpy knee really make? Also, the board suggests all the scoring was in the second half. Nine goals in one half? Damn!
- Guess who landed the very first hit on Myotismon? That's right- Ikkakumon!
- Interesting that in the final scene, Matt plays the harmonica while everybody else talks about Sora's love. He usually only plays when he's frustrated. Could it be that he's subconsciously playing to detach himself from a conversation about Sora and love due to his unrealized affection for her? Could this be the first sign that he knows this wacky girl with mommy issues will be his future wife? No... absolutely not. I actually don't know what's up with the harmonica. It just looks cool, I guess.